HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first time...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockangel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:00 pm    Post subject: My first time... Reply with quote

...Doing a piece of fine art entirely in Photoshop! [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

OK, I was kinda excited at how well I did and wanted to share. Down side is it took me 3 weeks to finish this one picture. Way to long but I think I'll get better. You can scroll down the page to get details.

[url=http://www.rockangel.com/Digi_Alinkaway.html]A Link Away[/url]
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: My first time... Reply with quote

Nice Work.
Interesting how you've made the painting (can it be called that with Photoshop?) look more like your hand done work and not rigid and computer generated looking like I've often seen with photoshop work.

What I mean is that the illustration looks less computer generated and more freeform hands on looking.

After doing this in Photoshop do you prefer it over working by hand? I know it's kind of a stupid question because nothing can compare with the feel of hand drawn work (at least w/ drafting) in my mind. Sometimes I think the speed is beneficial when using the computer. I Just don't see artists throwing away their painbrushes anytime soon.
Rockangel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:36 am    Post subject: My first time... Reply with quote

Thanks Icarus!

It probably looks looser because unlike a lot of people who use PS to do are I purposly used PS 4.0. I have the upgraded program, but it makes availiable tools that allow you to get the effects with things like filters. I literaly did this entire picture using only the airbrush, blur, and smear tools. The advantage working on computers is the ability to work with layers and not effect the layers around it.

And no I don't see me ever giving up the paintbrush. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] One, my turnover is much faster by hand. Three weeks for this piece is just to long for someone to have to wait for a piece. Though I know that time will come down, it will never catch up with my ability to pull off a full color 18x24 piece in 3 days. And second, it is a bit cold. I always thought what made "art" besides indevidual style is the little mistakes in it. Otherwise it would be photograghy. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Subtraction

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: My first time... Reply with quote

Have you worked with photoshop a lot? Because once you are familiar with it it really works fast. But also, photoshop is made for manipulation of photos and such and when you do everything by hand, that is, you start off with maybe sketching with the mouse, then yes, it will take forever. I would suggest putting in a scan or something first of the image, either of a sketch or something done in color. But there are a ton of short cuts in the program.

But I really like the way that her outfit stands out, and it does look like it took a while to do.

Here is some of my stuff that I did in photoshop, though I started with scans and digital pictures. It is a totally different style than yours, but it's photoshop.

[url=http://kestrel.tamucc.edu/~sas06087/]My photoshop stuff[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rockangel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: My first time... Reply with quote

Don't work with it much. But as I was saying, there are a lot of shortcuts. However I noticed the same thing Icarus noticed. Most work done on the computer using all the tools at my disposal made the pictures look lifeless and hollow. I saw your work and it's great! But as you pointed out it is a different style. I really want to keep working on doing strongly realistic work on PS. Maybe even get PS Special Edition which is aimed more at fine art than just photo manipulation. Admitedly a great deal of time was spent trying to retain some emotion in the face and eyes on this piece. And it is my first. I'm sure once I get the program down it will go faster. I've only ever used it to size my jpgs for my site. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: