HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And now,,, the rest of the story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ungodly

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: And now,,, the rest of the story. Reply with quote

Being I guess one of the semi older (30) boardians here and I was wondering if any of you guys/gals listen to talk radio or stuff like that???

The reason I bring this up is in sight of the recent passing of Layne Staley, I was listening to a local AM radio station and caught the 12:00 broadcast of Paul Harvey and he had mentioned the Staley death and quoted some of the things Staley had said in the past. Out of all the media that I see (not including MTV) Paul Harvey was the only person I even heard cover this. I guess the thing that gets me most, is the person (media) that brought it out was this man.

Do any of you know or have listened to Paul Harvey??

I have listened to him for years since I was a kid I can remember this man being on the radio. I have always found him trustworthy.

Another topic: If you keep track of daily life and news, what news programs do you watch, listen to and trust to be the truth??

Or what sources do you tend to believe or think are more credible than others??
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: And now,,, the rest of the story. Reply with quote

I'm 32 and I try to catch the news when I can. Unfortunately I don't have much time for the paper in the morning so I catch most of my day time news from my Yahoo homepage. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. At night I try and catch the local news. I live in a large metropolitan area so the first 10 or 15 minutes is usually gloom and doom with shootings rapes or whatever. For the past month or so here in Boston the "front page" 10:00/ 11:00 o'clock news topics have been about priests and their involvement with boys. With such bad and depressing stuff put out there in the first 10 or so minutes I have a hard time really wanting to stay tuned. I guess with our society so accustomed to wanting to be fed the big story (which is usually a negtive one), this is what the news networks will always go for. Big ratings come when you're the first to cover the deadly 10 car pile up or the high school shooting. And if you have live tape of some teen ager getting his face blown off you may get the Emmy award. Most people don't want to hear how great the day was, or how a bunch of high school kids helped build a house for the elderly. This doesn't give the big ratings. And let's face it, for the most part it's not really about news it's about money. Basically I take what I see or read with a grain of salt.

As far as news sources that I do check out, I start with my Yahoo page and link to some local/ national news sites, Boston Globe/ New York Times, etc. For whatever reason I've heard people give Reuters (an Associative Press clone) crap for reporting false informatin or being very one sided when it comes to particular subjects. For example, last Fall in during the peak of the terrorist hype after 9-11, I was reading, via message boards (an almost guaranteed unrelieable source of info when it comes to news), that for the most part people felt that Reuters was reporting with a biased towards the terrorists and their "feelings", almost as if the U.S. was being the big bully by going to war in Afghanistan. I my self didn't read into their stories that way but I guess it bothers enough people. Of course that doesn't mean the Associated Press or CNN for that matter are the end all in news coverage. I am very skeptical about all news stories especially with the sensationalism that seem to exist even on the local level as I mentioned earlier.

To finally answer your question, I do know of Paul Harvey but I don't think I've heard him. As far as radio talk shows I used to listen to Howard Stern (which is definitely not the most reliable news source by any means) and when I was living in DC I would listen to G. Gordon Liddy just for a laugh as there is no way to take that guy seriously. I've listened to NPR a few times and while it's an interesting news outlet for the most part, I always end up becoming bored or even tired when listening to the NPR talk show hosts and their dull droning voices.
I guess my prime news outlet would be CNN online.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: And now,,, the rest of the story. Reply with quote

Yes, I know who Paul Harvey is and I wish I would've heard him.

I like to listen to: Dr Laura, Michael Medved, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Jim Rome, and that other Wash post espn radio guy (can't remember his name right now).

Oh yeah, we don't have Stern anymore, but I listened to him and still do when I am in an area that has him.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: And now,,, the rest of the story. Reply with quote

Talk radio? Been there,done that. I used to be a regular caller on KDKA 1020 AM here in Pittsburgh,but stopped listening and calling a few months ago. Talk radio is dull anymore,and you don't get to hear a diversity of opinions. It seems like most of the hosts anymore are conservatives,and anybody who doesn't "tow the line" doesn't get a lot of air time. I used to get tired of listening to FM stations(too much repetition with the music),so I switched to AM in hopes of finding an alternative. I discovered AM radio in my previous job while working the night shift. Hearing the lively dialogue kept me company and kept me awake while at work,but now it just annoys me. It doesn't seem as if any of the hosts really have any convictions. They just say things to get people angry and call in. On KDKA,all people did was argue with the hosts and call names,and if you had something reasonable and thoughtful to say,they wouldn't give you much time to make your point.
Daronas

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: And now,,, the rest of the story. Reply with quote

I watch the Fox news channel almost exclusively. For news that is. I will watch the Abrams Report on MSNBC every once in a while. On the radio I mostly listened to Rush Limbaugh. Now that Bill O'Reilly has his own show on the radio, I may check that out.
rockin500

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: And now,,, the rest of the story. Reply with quote

The only talk radio I like is Sports talk radio. Like jim rome, Dan Patrick that kinda stuff...
rockin500

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: And now,,, the rest of the story. Reply with quote

But I do catch talk shows on TV like the Oreilly Factor and some of the other shows sometimes on one of the news networks. I like being up to date on the issues of the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Free For All Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: