HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PPV Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: PPV Review Reply with quote

As always, Glenn runs the best festival in Metal. I will continue to buy my Gold Badges blind, as I have every confidence that Glenn will continue to put together killer shows.

The crowds at ProgPower couldn't be better. Every person I've ever run into (this was my 4th year), couldn't be cooler. It's such a blast to be able to talk music with people who know their shit.

The bands:

Into Eternity - in a word, disappointing. They weren't bad mind you, they just weren't as good as I was expecting them to be. I've been waiting to see these guys for a while now, and they just didn't pull it off like I thought they would. Largely, I attribute this to two factors; too many new members and a limited sound check. I thought the new singer did an excellent job.

Dreamscape - their CD bores me to tears and I had no interest in hearing their music live.

Tad Morose - f**king amazing! These guys kicked my ass from one side of the venue to the other. IMO, the band of the festival.

Kamelot - solid. After seeing their PPII performance, I was expecting more. They are a good band, who sounds tight live, but just lacks the raw energy and intensity that's required to be a great live band.

Savatage/Taj Mahal/WoMD/A Night with Jon Oliva - yawn. Easily the worst performance I've witnessed at PP since Dan Swano sat down with his lyrics on a stand in front of him and performed Nightingale music with all the energy of a dead trout.

Adagio - when they were first announced, I was excited to see them. The loss of their vocalist tempered my excitement dramatically. I watched the first 1.5 songs and then headed to the bar.

Wuthering Heights - see Dreamscape.

Brainstorm - f**king amazing. These guys, along with Tad Morose, made the festival for me. Andy is one hell of a front man.

Pain of Salvation - their performance at PPIII was lackluster. At the time, I attributed this to the fact that they had to follow Blind Guardian's 1st NA appearance, the venue emptied out after BG, it was freezing in the venue, and Daniel had just flown half way across the globe to perform and was a little under the weather. As it turns out, this music just isn't what I want to hear live. I respect what these guys do, but their music (in my opinion) is better suited for CD than it is for concert.

Edguy - I wasn't feeling all that good at the beginning of the night, and was feeling that much worse by the time Edguy took the stage. I tried to tough it out (I was third row when they took the stage). But about half way through their set, I needed to bail and watch from the seats. That being said, it seemed like Tobias lacked the energy that he displayed at PPIII. I also felt as though the constant audience participation, the drum solo, the mic/voice problems, the forgetting of lyrics, a less than spectacular set list and having two different guest vocalist, kept the show from ever building the momentum that their PPIII performance built. That being said, I'm just so impressed with Jens Ludwig. This guy is total energy on stage. He's relentless. He's also a fantastic showman and a heck of a guitar player.

Zod
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice Report

It's good to read this stuff. I was amazed about Edguy stuff...forgetting the lyrics?? That rememberes me somebody...me maybe? Laughing

Well I have a question...

What's PPIII and what's PPV? and Who is Glenn?
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jorge Castillo"]Very Nice Report[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote="Jorge Castillo"]Well I have a question...

What's PPIII and what's PPV? and Who is Glenn?[/quote]

PPIII is ProgPower 3. ProgPower is one of the few Metal festivals here in the U.S. that's worth attending. PPV is ProgPower 5, which was this year's festival. ProgPower, as its name suggests, features both Progressive and Power Metal bands.

Glenn is Glenn Harveston, who is the festival's promoter, and a heck of a good guy.

GZ
10yearsgone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review Zod. I'm kinda surprised to read that the Savatage performance was a yawnfest, and would have loved to catch Tad Morose.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kryptonian.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like every time PP comes around, I find myself wishing I'd went to the first one, but not this one...this was no different. Would've liked to have seen Brainstorm, and maybe Tad Morose comes across better live than on disc, but that was about it.

I guess the all-melodic-metal nature of the thing is what sets it apart from all the other heavy fests...but that makes it a bit of a tough sell for me. Sounds like you (as always) had a blast though.
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree that this fest is pretty unique, as most seem to focus on the more extreme genres of Metal.

Each year, Glenn picks a "wildcard" band. Last year it was Mercenary, this year it was Into Eternity. Maybe one year the stars will allign and he'll grab a "wildcard" band you like, along with some Prog and Power bands you like.

As for Savatage, yeah, it was pretty disappointing. I don't what made Jon think that opening a show with 45 minutes of material no one ever heard was a good idea, but it didn't work for me. A buddy of mine thought it was the highlight of the weekend, so go figure.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: