HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some new reviews to keep things going a little more in here
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Some new reviews to keep things going a little more in here Reply with quote

Y&T - Earthshaker. f**k record companies! Seriously, this album costs about 36 dollars to import, which sucks cause this album rules. Not every minute of it is a masterpiece, but it's still a must own with the following greats- Rescue Me, Dirty Girl, Hurricane, and the incredible Let Me Go. Hungry for Rock is also pretty nice. The songs all have this great snap in the riffs, gutsy hardrock singing from Dave Meniketti [none of that typical LA whining], and some swell solos as well. It's got drive, it's got a strut to it. I love this stuff! "Once lovers, now we don't touch, making love don't mean a thing..." oh yeah. "Well I want you...I waaaaaaant You...to rescuuuee me!" Yeah, yeah, yeah. Go Dave. Let's not forget Dirty Girl, and Hurricane- the first being one of my favorite sleazy stalker/admirer songs, and the other being a great cruncher. No intelligent lyrics, but that was never the point. This is hard rock the way it's supposed to be. Anyway, if I had more money I'd buy all the early Y&T [though from what I've heard of Black Tiger and In Rock We Trust, the aren't as good]. [8.5].

Frost - Raise Your Fist to Metal. Can I throw up now? I'm so sick of this by the numbers metal stuff! He's got a lot of guests on vocals like Joe Comeau from Annihilator, but I don't dig it. It's a bunch of by the numbers stuff and it's really pretty boring. I can get into the intro riffs, because well, the guy can play good enough to make riffs that I enjoy, but he doesn't write any songs that are interesting enough to get into. [4].

Whitesnake - s/t. This was really just a side/solo project of Coverdale back in the mid/later 70s. the songs sound pretty dated, but are well written for the most part. I think if one sticks with the slower songs then you've got some really good material. There is one more upbeat song- Whitesnake, and I actually really like it. The slow songs show off his really nice crooning voice. Peace Loving Man and Celebration having moments almost as great as Soldier of Fortune and Mistreated from his Purple days. Course these songs seem a little more upbeat and have a more positive outlook. [7.5].

Whitesnake - Snakebite. This is actually two projects pasted together. One is outakes from the pre-Whitesnake period of David Coverdale, while the other are early recordings of the band Whitesnake. I'm fairly into this album, though it lacks some of the catchiness that would appear on later albums. Roger Glover is producing some of this- it's funny how he seems to work with every former Deep Purple member, including those that weren't in the band when he was in it. The sound of the songs on this is pretty old fashioned rock 'n' roll, but Dave Coverdale's voice is topnotch still. Highpoint is the cover Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City, which is just really beautiful with the amount of passion Coverdale puts into it. I really like to hear that one. Also like grooving along to the fun, piano-led Keep On Giving Me Love. The other stuff is also a bit more upbeat than the cover song, and still fun. [8].

Whitesnake - Ready 'An Willing. The band now has a refined sound. Jon Lord has also joined the band [soon Ian Paice would come into the band as well which would make this almost Deep Purple, except that the style is so drastically different from Deep Purple]. The two slower songs in the middle of the album are the highpoints [Blindman and Ain't Gonna Cry No More]- pretty typical of Whitesnake. The more upbeat stuff starts to have a little more punch and I think some of the lead is a little more impressive. [7.5].

Whitesnake - Lovehunter. The band has really come into their own- a non ballad, Walking in the Shadow of the Blues, is now the driving force behind the album, and the total sound is fuller and less dated. The choruses are catchy but not overly sugary like later 80s Whitesnake. Everything is in place for a good band and it comes together on this album. This album has all the old 70s character, but it's not confined to that old sound. I can't really say much about this without sounding repetitious. I do get annoyed that Coverdale can't make an album without talking about Love over and over again, but it's great stuff here. Great stuff. You need it just for the 2 first songs. You don't lose on the slow side either, cause it has "We Wish You Well" as a closer. I dig the cover too, though I'm surprised it wasn't banned or something [8].

Whitesnake - Come 'An Get It. I tend to skip over this one in favor of Lovehunter and Saints 'An Sinners, but it's a good album. Don't Break My Heart Again is one really nice song with a driving beat and chorus that gets you really singing and marching along. The other songs are overshadowed by the greatness of that one, but they are good as well, with the exception of Would I Lie to You which is a little too repetitious. The choruses here are a little repetitive in general, but Don't Break My Heart Again is so catchy that I personally don't care [funny cause I was complaining recently about long outros on some other songs]. Jon Lord and Ian Paice have reunited with Coverdale bringing a really nice feel to the album as a whole. It's got a smooth polished feel to it that I think in this case helps out with the songs as a whole. We aren't talking about the oversynthed stuff of late 80s hardrock stuff yet- this stuff still has bass and cool guitar parts. [8].

Whitesnake - Saints 'An Sinners. Forget those later versions of Crying in the Rain and Here I Go Again [though I do like Vandenburg's solo on the latter version of Here I Go]- these are the real versions! Crying in the Rain is one of my favorite 'Snake songs next to Walking in the Shadow, Give Me All Your Love, and Aint No Love in the Heart of the City. Its' got that nice bluesy intro here, followed by David's pleading. I love it. Here I Go Again has been heard enough, but here there is an organ rather than synth. Solo is different of course- less spectacular though I dig it. Thing is Coverdale's voice used to be so much better before they started overproducing it on those mid/late 80s albums. The upbeat songs here are really fun- Bloody Luxury, Victim of Love, Young Blood, Rough and Ready. It's the type of stuff that doesn't make your neck snap, but you'll want to dance. Oh yeah! Some of the later stuff on the album like Rock n Roll Angels gets on my nerves a little, but that's just cause he's going overboard with the rock and love lyrics again. But you really can't lose with this album. It's quite necessary for any fan of Whitesnake or old fashioned rock 'n' roll. I really dig the cover to this album too. [8.5].

Whitesnake - Slide it In. I don't know where the precise change to a more pure metal sound was made, but this album is certainly a lot more commercial than the bluesier older stuff. There are three songs on here with the word Love in the song! That's ridiculous. As far as the music goes, it doesn't grab me like the earlier stuff, and I don't think I even like it as much as the 1987 s/t, but Coverdale's voice was still holding up- less deep moaning than those early 80s/late 70s days, but the guy can still belt it out when he needs to. [7].

Pearl Jam - Ten. It doesn't really need commenting on, but this album is Gossard and Ament at their most refined, and with the addition of a newer vocalist, they've got the opportunity to stretch their abilities. It's got it's own sound and doesn't sound so much like classic rock as Mother Love Bone did, but those throwbacks are still there. Plenty of groove, guitar wanking solos, songs made for songs sake [the best thing about grunge- this idea seemed to be lost with most 80s metal bands- who seemed to like to paste a bunch of riffs together to make a song]. Vedder was still strong [though not as gresat as he was on Temple of the Dog]. Everyone probably knows the great songs like Jeremy and I'm Alive. Great stuff. [8.5].
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a Whitesnake kick eh? I thin Slide It In was their best album. The s/t from 1987 had some killer and some filler. R&W is good too.

Earthshaker is a classic. I paid 75 bucks total for Earthshaker,Meanstreak and Black Tiger. I remember buying them at Eide's Entertainment,and the clerk was all astonished. Very Happy
The Dorf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the imports of Black Tiger, Earthshaker, Mean Streak, In Rock We Trust, and Down For The Count, and probably paid around $150 total. Then there are the first two Yesterday & Today discs that I paid $55 for. Who says collecting music isn't an expensive hobby? While I'm on the subject of Y&T, does anybody have Ten? I was listening to it the other day, IMO it's their most underrated album.

As for Whitesnake, has any of their early catalog been remastered yet? And here's a quick trivia question: what band did Coverdale once audition for before Whitesnake ever existed? Hint: Rolling Stone once called them a mutated version of Deep Purple, and the worst band to ever get a gold record.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]As for Whitesnake, has any of their early catalog been remastered yet?[/quote]

Ready and Willing has.

[quote]
And here's a quick trivia question: what band did Coverdale once audition for before Whitesnake ever existed? Hint: Rolling Stone once called them a mutated version of Deep Purple, and the worst band to ever get a gold record.[/quote]

I'm gonna say Uriah Heep.
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that.

Coverdale also almost replaced Gillan in Sabbath at one point.

I kinda wish Coverdale came on board but am quite happy with the vocals on Firefly, Innocent Victim and Fallen Angel.

[quote="iwarrior"][quote]As for Whitesnake, has any of their early catalog been remastered yet?[/quote]

Ready and Willing has.

[quote]
And here's a quick trivia question: what band did Coverdale once audition for before Whitesnake ever existed? Hint: Rolling Stone once called them a mutated version of Deep Purple, and the worst band to ever get a gold record.[/quote]

I'm gonna say Uriah Heep.[/quote]
The Dorf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uriah Heep is correct!! Sorry, iwarrior and MS, there's no prize lol. Laughing

UH were also considering Paul Rogers at the time.

One more thing about Heep. Rolling Stone must have had a personal vendetta against these guys cuz when their first album came out, a RS critic started his review of it by saying "If this band ever makes it, I'm going to commit suicide." Wonder if he ever followed through on his promise? Rolling Eyes
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ten" is a great album!
PaulEMoz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an impressive Whitesnake pile! Very Happy

Come An' Get It is still my favourite, but then it was the first album I bought back in 1981.

Which version of Slide It In did you get? The US version or the UK version? There's quite a difference between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]One more thing about Heep. Rolling Stone must have had a personal vendetta against these guys cuz when their first album came out, a RS critic started his review of it by saying "If this band ever makes it, I'm going to commit suicide." Wonder if he ever followed through on his promise?[/quote]

Uriah Heep was never liked by RS. I remember them calling them a "poor man's Jethro Tull". RS hasn't exactly been kind to metal anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: