HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brett261

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Being a so-called long hair for over 20 years, I still find many wonderfully shallow people in the world who still don't understand that we are not some kind of societal outcasts. From 1985 to 1992, it was actually considered "cool", "popular", etc to have long hair. Can you remember even the so-called clean cut types (both jocks and businessmen) with their ridiculous tails? Forward to almost 2002 and once again we are in the dark ages again. The phony anti-rockstar Kurt Cobain with the huge $$$ of the Geffen Records machine behind him in 1991 made us into objects of scorn once again here in America. Jokes have abounded about metal show parking lots, Camaros, hair bands, mullets, etc in the interim. Somewhere in all these jokes and abusive comments, I have found the silver lining of jealousy in these people. These shallow people are lacking in the one area we are blessed; The Metal Fraternity. We are so fortunate to have witnessed incredible concerts and have had the privilege of hearing some of the most amazing albums ever recorded. Moments such as Iron Maiden and Eddie at their peak on the Powerslave tour, Hammerfall playing to a crowd of 200 people as if it were 20,000 in a dive club, Ronnie James Dio slaying Denzel the Dragon, James Hetfield urging a crowd of over 50,000 to chant "Die" during Creeping Death, and Motley Crue living a life on stage that seemed full of nothing but kick ass rock and roll, parties and women. (yet so painful as their book reveals). The Metal Fraternity, in most cases, is one that accepts all types of people. When a fellow metal fan sees another in public that he or she does not know, they will almost always acknowledge each other. Yet, I do not see this behavior in other segments of society.

At WDVE in Pittsburgh, PA, a radio station morning DJ named Randy Baumann (baumann@dve.com)has made our fraternity the target of his scorn so much so that going out in public in Pittsburgh as a male with long hair can guarantee you at least one altercation per evening with some spineless jackass from his loyal listening audience (that is rapidly declining to the point he is rumored to be replaced soon). His appearance and mannerisms are typical of the lemmings of today; scraggly clothes, trendy bead chain, bad goatee and the diction of the 6th grader. A guy with hair down to his waist can be expected to have "mullet" screamed at him at anytime thanks to Mr. Baumann. When confronted by a long-haired guy, these cowards beg off as if the devil had come up from hell to claim their soul. Sure, it is just a joke, but when someone lands up in the hospital the joke won't be so funny. I am sure the juvenile mentality of Mr. Baumann would turn much more serious if he had to pay the doctor's bill for a member of his impressionable audience that got assaulted by someone who was minding their own business. If he is insulting long hairs, are blacks, Jews, and others far behind? Grow up Randy, there is plenty more humor in the world than disrespecting people who want nothing to do with your flavor of the moment kind.
AngelWitch73

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

In Germany it is completely normal for guys to have long hair. In fact you canīt tell if someone listens to Metal or not because a lot of non Metal listeners have long hair and work in all kinds of jobs. Itīs no big deal here at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
metalblood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

That song they play on there about having a mullet is pretty funny.
brett261

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

From what some people who knew him from Erie told me he used to get his A$$ beat in school by the longhairs, thus the dislike for them.
Subtraction

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

I hate fraternities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MUTANT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

This subject is soooooooo old!

PS: I don't have long hair and I am as big a metal fan as there is! Your concept of a "metal fraternity" where people recognize eachother by their hair is stupid.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett Davis:
Being a so-called long hair for over 20 years, I still find many wonderfully shallow people in the world who still don't understand that we are not some kind of societal outcasts. From 1985 to 1992, it was actually considered "cool", "popular", etc to have long hair. Can you remember even the so-called clean cut types (both jocks and businessmen) with their ridiculous tails? Forward to almost 2002 and once again we are in the dark ages again. The phony anti-rockstar Kurt Cobain with the huge $$$ of the Geffen Records machine behind him in 1991 made us into objects of scorn once again here in America. Jokes have abounded about metal show parking lots, Camaros, hair bands, mullets, etc in the interim. Somewhere in all these jokes and abusive comments, I have found the silver lining of jealousy in these people. These shallow people are lacking in the one area we are blessed; The Metal Fraternity. We are so fortunate to have witnessed incredible concerts and have had the privilege of hearing some of the most amazing albums ever recorded. Moments such as Iron Maiden and Eddie at their peak on the Powerslave tour, Hammerfall playing to a crowd of 200 people as if it were 20,000 in a dive club, Ronnie James Dio slaying Denzel the Dragon, James Hetfield urging a crowd of over 50,000 to chant "Die" during Creeping Death, and Motley Crue living a life on stage that seemed full of nothing but kick ass rock and roll, parties and women. (yet so painful as their book reveals). The Metal Fraternity, in most cases, is one that accepts all types of people. When a fellow metal fan sees another in public that he or she does not know, they will almost always acknowledge each other. Yet, I do not see this behavior in other segments of society.

At WDVE in Pittsburgh, PA, a radio station morning DJ named Randy Baumann (baumann@dve.com)has made our fraternity the target of his scorn so much so that going out in public in Pittsburgh as a male with long hair can guarantee you at least one altercation per evening with some spineless jackass from his loyal listening audience (that is rapidly declining to the point he is rumored to be replaced soon). His appearance and mannerisms are typical of the lemmings of today; scraggly clothes, trendy bead chain, bad goatee and the diction of the 6th grader. A guy with hair down to his waist can be expected to have "mullet" screamed at him at anytime thanks to Mr. Baumann. When confronted by a long-haired guy, these cowards beg off as if the devil had come up from hell to claim their soul. Sure, it is just a joke, but when someone lands up in the hospital the joke won't be so funny. I am sure the juvenile mentality of Mr. Baumann would turn much more serious if he had to pay the doctor's bill for a member of his impressionable audience that got assaulted by someone who was minding their own business. If he is insulting long hairs, are blacks, Jews, and others far behind? Grow up Randy, there is plenty more humor in the world than disrespecting people who want nothing to do with your flavor of the moment kind.

Have you ever heard WDVE do their "Mullet Talk" skits with the character "Tino Martino"? I found them pretty funny. I don't usually listen to WDVE's morning show,because I'm usually not up at that hour. That show's like an institution here in Pittsburgh.Baumann's not as good as Scott Paulsen.Paulsen used to have long hair,but now he looks like an old man.

Don't worry about it dude. Morning talk radio is designed to piss people off. It's good business.
Templar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by MUTANT:
This subject is soooooooo old!

PS: I don't have long hair and I am as big a metal fan as there is! Your concept of a "metal fraternity" where people recognize eachother by their hair is stupid.

Uh, no it's not. I know exactly what he's talking about, and agree 100%. And I suggest that you grow your hair long and put up with the sort of constant discrimination, harrassment and other bullshit we face daily before you presume to even know anything about the subject.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

I'd still have long hair if it weren't for the fact that my scalp is thinning. I know what you guys mean. I used to get tired of older folks coming up to me from behind and saying "Excuse me miss". That was embarassing. My long hair was a pain in the ass too. I could never get it to look or grow the way I wanted it. It used to grow out and get all bushy. Now my head looks like a brillo pad. I hate my hair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: