HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
violentbreed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like only a couple of people here are writing from experience, and even fewer understand the principle here. I have had long hair since I got out of high school. Previously I had done all kinds of things seeking acceptance. When I got into metal music, I saw all the great musicians and their long hair. There was nothing cool about having long hair or metal where I lived, even though it was the right time period. I finally decided to let my hair grow out of admiration for my fav bands and a desire to "be my own man". Since then I have been neither popular, accepted or had a shot at a great job in spite of experience and eduacation. Over time having long hair became a way for me to "swim against the stream" 24/7 and identify myself with a culture and people that I enjoy, "fit in" with and am comfortable with. I have become so comfortable with myself and the long hair that the idea of having short hair frightens me. I was so uncomfortable as a youth trying to be a buzzcut and fit in. Besides, I am not in the Army, why should I have their haircut?

I have found great humor in the mistakes and reactions of the unimaginitive and conformist public. The stares, the comments, the nicknames (Fabio, Test, triple H) and even latent hostility toward my grooming and music choice all mirror other kinds of prejudice that we are sanctioned to resist and condemn. I find it funny because these are the same people who have "black pride" "white pride" and "brown pride" bumper stickers and try to imitate what they see on TV etc. In my work with educated people I encounter no such prejudice or hostility.

Cetainly prejudice is prejudice and ignorance is ignorance, and you may contend there is no "long hair fraternity" or that long haired people are not the only "true metalheads". However you can definitely say that long haired people are comfortable with themselves, and here in the US we are "uncompromising" metalheads.

Oh well this post is getting too long. I hope some people get a better understanding fo "long hair" from this.

Seeya,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't buy any of this stuff about metalheads beind the most rebellious people out there. Not cutting one's hair is somehow your way of going against the stream guys? Metal is your way of going against the flow? I'm sorry, but that is pathetic. If you have to rely on a movement to go against the flow then you aren't really going against a flow at all, you are just going with a different flow.

If you really want to define yourself as independant and different then it should be from the way you think and the way you actually act. But is there really any point in being different just for the sake of being different? This would imply that if metal were popular and jazz was underground you'd become jazz fans and dress in jazz styles to be "different". You can't be different just by going with the underdog in the music scene.

I must say that I identify more with people who enjoy metal because they like the riffs, the solos, and screaming heavy metal singers, than because they want to be "different". Or because they want to be "hardcore" or "true". The people that express things that way are the ones who get the metal movement its reputation as being a bunch of dumbasses in the first place.

And the same thing can be said about the long hair thing. One shouldn't grow his hair out to be metal, "different", or to fit in with other metal heads. Just do it cause you feel like it. Whatever.

Anyway, I've had long hair before, and then I had it cut because I lost a bet. Then I grew my hair out again, and it is kindof long now, but it will get longer(it's only been growing for a year and a half so give it some time). I recognize that people give us stupid comments and bullshit, calling us girls and fags and shit, but who gives a damn? Alright that's enough.
Dark Reign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

I, for one, never cared for followning trends...etc. I grew my hair long for one reason, that being that I like having long hair. I didn't do it due to music, fads, etc. I just personally like it. Even now, as the top thins (Damn you male pattern baldness) I still do not wish to cut my hair. Just a personal choice; nothing else.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

My family used to get on my case about my hair. Not my parents,but my aunts,uncles,and cousins. They always used to tell me to get my hair cut and that I looked like a girl. My gramma loved my long hair though. She used to tell me that I looked like a wrestler(gram liked wrestling). God bless her.
Templar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Subtraction:
Man this discrimination is so far beyond what
African Americans and Women had to go through. Man I can't believe that some people can't vote because of thier long hair, and man you might get linched if you walk around with that long hair on the streets. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I have to say this again and again, I don't believe metal fans to be this "special" group of people that are so much more smarter than the average person and all that bull. You know the bull that metal fans are so freaking nice to eachother all the time..I am sure you guys know what I am talking about. Look, metal fans as any other group are full of different kinds of people: nice people, *******s, bitches and hoes. I think generally people are going to be nice to you if you have the same interests as they do, so it seems as if all metal fans are nice by nature or something, and granted some are, but not all. And it's not like metal fans don't make fun of other people or discriminate others for some lame ass reason (for example "if you don't like metal, FUKK you!).

And hey, don't get me wrong, people shouldn't judge you by your haircut but let's give this "metal fraternity" thing a break. Can't we all just get along? Metal fans or not!

Uh-huh. And you're a girl, and what -- 21 years old? What the **** do YOU know about it? You weren't around in the time period Brett is talking about, and being a girl, you can wear your hair any way you please. And for your information, I saw all sorts of people -- black, redneck, shorthair, gay, whatever -- come into metal bars and never be harassed, but it sure didn't work the other way around. And I HAVE nearly been killed just because I had long hair in a story which I've blathered about on this site before but you obviously never read, and so have a couple of friends of mine. You're right in that it's not the same as being black or being a woman, but then, nobody claimed it was. You know, if it was some shock jock inciting his audience to make fun of Muslim "ragheads" and ridiculing their culture, a knee-jerk liberal like you would be the first to scream discrimination, but when it's us, you don't care.
holydiver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Templar:
quote:
Originally posted by Subtraction:
Man this discrimination is so far beyond what
African Americans and Women had to go through. Man I can't believe that some people can't vote because of thier long hair, and man you might get linched if you walk around with that long hair on the streets. [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I have to say this again and again, I don't believe metal fans to be this "special" group of people that are so much more smarter than the average person and all that bull. You know the bull that metal fans are so freaking nice to eachother all the time..I am sure you guys know what I am talking about. Look, metal fans as any other group are full of different kinds of people: nice people, *******s, bitches and hoes. I think generally people are going to be nice to you if you have the same interests as they do, so it seems as if all metal fans are nice by nature or something, and granted some are, but not all. And it's not like metal fans don't make fun of other people or discriminate others for some lame ass reason (for example "if you don't like metal, FUKK you!).

And hey, don't get me wrong, people shouldn't judge you by your haircut but let's give this "metal fraternity" thing a break. Can't we all just get along? Metal fans or not!

Uh-huh. And you're a girl, and what -- 21 years old? What the **** do YOU know about it? You weren't around in the time period Brett is talking about, and being a girl, you can wear your hair any way you please. And for your information, I saw all sorts of people -- black, redneck, shorthair, gay, whatever -- come into metal bars and never be harassed, but it sure didn't work the other way around. And I HAVE nearly been killed just because I had long hair in a story which I've blathered about on this site before but you obviously never read, and so have a couple of friends of mine. You're right in that it's not the same as being black or being a woman, but then, nobody claimed it was. You know, if it was some shock jock inciting his audience to make fun of Muslim "ragheads" and ridiculing their culture, a knee-jerk liberal like you would be the first to scream discrimination, but when it's us, you don't care.
Just for the record, women who work in many jobs are still told how they have to wear their hair. One of my ex-wives applied to be a police officer and was told by one of the recruitment advisors that she would have to cut her hair in order to receive favorable marks on her oral exam. She had met the same discrimination while she had served in the military. After being passed-over for several promotions she cut her hair above collar length and was given an increas in rank within the month. She had just grown her hair long when she was applying for the job as a police officer and was very unhappy about having to cut her hair. But, she had to make a decission and in the end decided that it was more important for her to become a cop and have a job that she thought would help other people then to be working in an office.
Subtraction

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
What the **** do YOU know about it?
Well first of all one my best friends is almost thirty, with long hair, probably grew up around the same time you did with the metal craze. Hanging out with him for years we have discussed the ridiculous comments that people make over long hair, his and others. The fact that he gets harrassed for it and almost everything else you have metioned, including ridiculous fights. Second, my boyfriend had long hair for a few years and the comments we would both recieve were uncalled for and ridiculous : "Can I help you ladies". I mean does it really hurt that much to look up and see that a guy is standing next to me?

quote:
and being a girl, you can wear your hair any way you please
Absolutely not true! In my experience anyways. I color my hair all sorts of different colors and cut if short quite often, do I get strange looks, do I get treated differently, you damn well bet I do. Yeah it's dumb, same way someone getting mad at you for your hair is. I don't deny that. As it seems our society doesn't think it's manly to wear your hair long, they also don't think it's womanly to wear my hair short.

quote:
And for your information, I saw all sorts of people -- black, redneck, shorthair, gay, whatever -- come into metal bars and never be harassed, but it sure didn't work the other way around
So you are saying all those people harass metalheads and they never get harrassed? Interesting.

quote:
And I HAVE nearly been killed just because I had long hair in a story which I've blathered about on this site before but you obviously never read, and so have a couple of friends of mine
Did I ever say it was a good thing that people are being harrassed for their hair (or nearly killed). I don't think I ever did. In fact I said that it's a dumb thing that people are harrassed for thier hair. And that really freaking sucks that you almost got killed for having long hair and sorry I have never read the story, I wasn't directing every single comment of mine towards you and I wasn't trying in any way to belittle what happened to you. And sorry, am I supposed to read every single thing that you post? If I were making a direct comment on the story then I should, but I wasn't. Just making a general statement that's all.

quote:
You're right in that it's not the same as being black or being a woman, but then, nobody claimed it was
Yes I know that nobody claimed that it was, I was exagerrating to make a point, and being somewhat silly at the same time, but as we all know it's so hard to show that when posting.

quote:
You know, if it was some shock jock inciting his audience to make fun of Muslim "ragheads" and ridiculing their culture, a knee-jerk liberal like you would be the first to scream discrimination, but when it's us, you don't care.
Its really quite nice how you pretend to know me. And it is also quite nice how you forget to read one of my last statements in my last post.

quote:
people shouldn't judge you by your haircut
A knee-jerk liberal huh? You really don't know me and I would appreciate it if you didn't pretend to. If you really did then you would know that I love humor about whatever, I don't care if it's making fun of blacks or muslims, women or hispanics (which I happen to be) as long as its humor and not meant to be taken seriously. If George Bush were to get on TV and say "America it's time for us to put all blacks in prison as they are a menace to society" then hell yeah I would scream discrimination. But when Howard Stern makes some stupid comment about Muslim culture or women, I don't get offended I laugh, because I doubt that he is really being serious.

And you know what, I do care that people are being ridiculed and made to be something they are not due to thier hair, I was just trying to make a point that it could be worse, obviously it didn't work, probably my fault. And again, I am sorry that I didn't know you were almost killed because of your hair, but that doesn't mean that you have to snap at me for it. Plus I have only been a member since 2001 while you have been one since 1999. So give me a break will ya?

So I shall restate this one more time so people don't misunderstand! I think it is stupid and idiotic of people to discriminate someone based on thier looks whether they have long hair, short hair, are skinny, fat, black or white. Its stupid and ignorant, and of cousre I understand that we don't want to just sit around and take it, so that is why I suppose we post these stories of discrimination.

But what the Fukk do I know...I am a 21 year old girl!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

to answer Bretts question....
Having short hair and being into metal was not really an issue for me back in Pennsylvania. I never got any flack for being into metal. I did have more preppie kinda kids always ask me about bands i listened too, but not to make fun of me... but just because noone they knew listened to them.
My parents and I moved to Nevada in 98' and did notice a big change in what people's reaction are to a "metal" fan, Long hair or short.. The strange looks at record stores by the Alternative/hiphop clerks when you bring up a cd that they never heared of and you can't even get a " have a nice day " out of them.

I can go on and on...but i'm editing a map for jedi outcast so i'll make this brief, lol.
I DO NOT CARE about long hair or not and how metal it makes you. I wouldn't look good with long hair so i have it cut short, plus, i live in a desert, it gets HOT!!!

Am i a lesser metal fan now...lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

I used to have long hair, and never experienced or observed any sort of long-haired-guy metal brotherhood. I did get shit from mom & dad, and still do, now that I've been growing it again. (dad does have a point that it's starting to thin up top, and if this keeps up, it's only going to look silly)

However, I did not get picked on, mocked, insulted, or called names by strangers because of my hair. Possible explanation: anyone who might've felt tempted to do so was probably smaller than me, and quickly reconsidered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: