HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brett261

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Interesting comment Tyrannorabbit about nobody saying anything because they were smaller than you. In these parts, just the opposite...alot of guys with "Napoleon Syndrome" try to look like the big shot running their mouths at bigger guys (whether it be with long hair or big muscle guys)figuring nobody will touch them because they are smaller. I also saw one of these punks get thrown through a glass window outside a Motley Crue show in Ohio because he mouthed off to a body building long hair about his "mullet" when the guy had his hair all one length to his ass. Needless to say, not even his buddies helped his puny a$$ out of the pile of glass.

Am I condoning violence...depends on the situation. Do I condone putting the fear of God into someone I would want nothing to do with otherwise...Absolutely. I mind my own business, do not give people problems when I am out with friends or family, etc.

Also Tyrannorabbit from my experiences in Canada, (Toronto and Niagara Falls) I think melting pot of people in Toronto especially helps because everybody looks different...there seems to be no one majority of race, ethnicity, etc. at least in the downtown area around Younge Street.
Ogre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
dad does have a point that it's starting to thin up top, and if this keeps up, it's only going to look silly

Oh, I don't know about that-- just look at how cool Hulk Hogan looks with his long-but-bald-on-top hair style. As a side note, maybe you should look into multi-colored facial hair in conjunction with the afore-mentioned Hogan hairstyle, it sure works for Hogan!

ATTENTION ZOD: Just keeping you in the loop, my Brother of Metal, this post is just another sortie in my on-going campaign of comedy. In reality, I do not think that Hulk Hogan's hair style is one that I would prefer to emulate, nor do I think that Hulk Hogan is made more attractive by multi-colored facial hair. I just wanted to clear that up for you.

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Yes, I know-- I am a prick. Can't help it, mon frer, a prick I am and a prick I shall die.

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Is it really necessary to beat people up because they feel like making dumbass comments about your hair. I'd just respond that at least my mommy doesn't have sex with her children and stroll away. What's the big deal with this obsession with insults to the hair. People have told me I look like I have a squirrel living in there when I first get up in the morning. No need to fight over a dumb comment like that.
violentbreed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Seems there is a lot of confusion here. Yes folks, if you live in a backwards enough society (and the deep South of the U.S. does qualify)the threat of bodily harm for being different is very real, no matter how you are different. Yes folks, the average long hair wears it that way because "they like it", men and women. We tried to elucidate what, "we like it" means, not create an exclusive club. No, you don't have to wear your hair a certain way to be a "true metalhead". Yes, in a few places in the U.S. where outrageous hairstyles are also frowned on for women. (There are people from some really small towns posting here!).

The important point is that some of us longhairs put up with a fair amount of grief to be true to ourselves, like many other people of different races and lifestyles. The other point is that longhairs are just as comfortable with our long hair as the rest are without it.

Take care,

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

I think Jake has said it best. Having long hair hardly makes one a rebellious bad a$$ in today's society. It's just a fashion statement, and not terribly outrageous anymore. Anyone who defines himself by his hair has got to be at least a little shallow. It's certainly not worth fighting over.

As far as long hair goes, if it looks cool grow it. If it doesn't, cut it. Simple as that.
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Subtraction --

Remind me to give you a lecture on menstrual bloating, lip gloss, and the availability of abortion in the U. S. sometime. After all, I've dated a few girls who had to deal with those issues, so I obviously know more about them than you do. Kinda like you know all about what long-haired guys go through (even in the 80s) because you dated a longhair and vary your own hairstyle. And one more thing -- nearly losing your life just for looking the wrong way is plenty of reason to snap at someone when they make ignorant comments about it. Next time somebody tries to kill you, feel free to post your experience here. If you still disagree with me, I'll at least accept your opinion as an informed one.
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:17 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by holydiver:
Just for the record, women who work in many jobs are still told how they have to wear their hair. One of my ex-wives applied to be a police officer and was told by one of the recruitment advisors that she would have to cut her hair in order to receive favorable marks on her oral exam. She had met the same discrimination while she had served in the military. After being passed-over for several promotions she cut her hair above collar length and was given an increas in rank within the month. She had just grown her hair long when she was applying for the job as a police officer and was very unhappy about having to cut her hair. But, she had to make a decission and in the end decided that it was more important for her to become a cop and have a job that she thought would help other people then to be working in an office.

You have just given me the two most idiotic examples possible. Police officers cut their hair short mainly because criminals can grab hair and use it as a handle to slam the officer's head against their knee, a car, or anything else handy. Same goes for soldiers, except hygiene and discipline (no individuality allowed) are also factors. I'll agree that there's discrimination on police forces and in the military, though -- women should be made to cut their hair just as short as men, and they're not, so it's discrimination against the men, certainly.
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
I used to have long hair, and never experienced or observed any sort of long-haired-guy metal brotherhood. I did get shit from mom & dad, and still do, now that I've been growing it again. (dad does have a point that it's starting to thin up top, and if this keeps up, it's only going to look silly)

However, I did not get picked on, mocked, insulted, or called names by strangers because of my hair. Possible explanation: anyone who might've felt tempted to do so was probably smaller than me, and quickly reconsidered.

Did you grow up in Toronto? If so, there's yet another explanation: Toronto is a major metropolitan area, and is therefore much more tolerant of people who look different than the norm. Plus, I think Canadians are just less violent and prone to be *******s than Americans. Your story would probably be different if you grew up in a rural area in the U. S. That, or you're the size of Peter Steele. I bet nobody gives [b]him[/b] trouble about his hair.
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
Is it really necessary to beat people up because they feel like making dumbass comments about your hair. I'd just respond that at least my mommy doesn't have sex with her children and stroll away. What's the big deal with this obsession with insults to the hair. People have told me I look like I have a squirrel living in there when I first get up in the morning. No need to fight over a dumb comment like that.

Yes, it is necessary, but only if you can get away with it (i.e., win) with a reasonable chance of success. If there are no witnesses, you should kill them and hide the body. Oh, and I'd like to see you make that "mommy" comment of yours to the 15 off-duty police officers (I guess - a few of them had pistols clipped to their belts, anyway) who quite loudly made comments about my hair one time when I took my girlfriend out to a restaurant for her birthday. If you'd made a crack like that to them, you would have woken up the next morning on the police station bathroom floor with a toilet plunger stuck a foot up your ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: