HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for some comments?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FALCON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Looking for some comments? Reply with quote

Interested in opinions of fellow hardones as to these discs (a quick review if you may)?

Acid Rain_Infinity Beyond
Mercury Tide_Why (Wyvern? I realize it is Dirk from AD)
Nightrage_Sweet Vengence (L4M?)
Dew Scented_Impact (I'm sure I'll get this regardless, the last one smokes riffs)
Skid Row_thickskin

comments would be welcome. tx in advance...
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Looking for some comments? Reply with quote

The Nightrage is good - reminds me a lot of the last Testament album riff-wise - but the one thing that piqued my curiosity the most about the band (guest vox from Tom Englund) is the worst aspect, shoehorned in klutzily, never needed even once.

The Dew-Scented is pretty badass thrash, though the vocals are a little harsher than usual for this kind of thing. Goofy name, but it rocks.
live4metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Looking for some comments? Reply with quote

I think the Nightrage disc is better than just good.It's one of the top 5 thrash metal type cds of the year.The production is great,the vocals harsh but not totally cookie monster and the guitars are shredding.This is a hard cd for sure.No whimp rock here.
I said B4,with the addition of just some clean vocals from Tom S. Englund and some great accoustic moments,parts of the cd sound like an early era Thrash Sabbath.The Howls of the Wolves imperticular.My favorites are Elusive Emotion,The Glow of the Setting Sun,At The Ends of the Earth and The Howls of the Wolves.If you like earlier In Flames,At The Gates or Opeth,I think you'll like this one.
Some other great thrash cds this year,and I mean great,are...Kreator:Live Kreation-Agent Steel:Order of the Illuminati-Overkill:Killbox 13-Children of Bodom:HateCrew DeathRoll.Check 'em out if you already have'nt.Enjoy!
FALCON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Looking for some comments? Reply with quote

Thanks L4M, I looked for that Nightrage today and I will most likely get soon. I have all the thrash discs you mention of course, while Children is my favorite of those, I have adopted Overkill as this years lifting disc. I also picked up Hatesphere and Lamb of God that are very thrashy inflames jester ear like with plenty of intensity.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Looking for some comments? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by FALCON:
Interested in opinions of fellow hardones as to these discs (a quick review if you may)?

Acid Rain_Infinity Beyond
Mercury Tide_Why (Wyvern? I realize it is Dirk from AD)
Nightrage_Sweet Vengence (L4M?)
Dew Scented_Impact (I'm sure I'll get this regardless, the last one smokes riffs)
Skid Row_thickskin

comments would be welcome. tx in advance...

Acid Rain - "Infinity Beyond": is prog metal [i]a la[/i] Dream Theater, with less virtuosity but lots of enthusiasm. The album is pretty good and the cover of 'Cardinal Sin' (Conception) is very good and faithful. The last songs are lesss interesting than the beginners, but the whole album is solid enough. Considering than these guys are playing, recording, manging and distributing their own album is a big effort.

Mercury Tide - "Why?": yes indeed is Dirk Turisch (ex-Angel Dust) in vocals and guitars, Anders Iwers (Tiamat) in the bass, Stefan Gemballa (Flowing Tears) in drums and Dennis Riehle in the keys, plus most of the solos are played by Bernd Auferman (ex-Angel Dust, Running Wild). The album sounds a LOT like Angel Dust, with bits of goth (Tiamat, Flowing Tears), but also bits of alternative styles. The bits are so small that the songs don't get corrupted [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] , and all are composed by Dirk. The album at 46:01 pass really fast which means I like it (bad albums seems to last forever). The songs are melodic, heavy but not powerish or thrashy. To me is a good effort of Dirk and if is true that AD is reunited, I believe the band will have some real powerful input to compose.
I don't know if is going to make my top ten 2003, but is pretty high in the ranks. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Looking for some comments? Reply with quote

Sweet Vengeance is a cool,solid melodic death record,but a little overrated IMO,due to the "sameness" I found throughout. I'd give it an 8/10. I also wish the album featured all clean vox,but hey,you guys know about my frustration with death/black metal how I think clean vox would blast all of it through the ozone.
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Looking for some comments? Reply with quote

Nightrage - not bad. Some really solid music here. If the singer wasn't terrible I'd probably buy it.

Dew Scented - generic Death/Thrash. Though I'm sure with the right amount of alchohol in my system, this would be a fun disc.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: