HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone miss Southern Rock?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinyltim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jim McCormick"][quote="vinyltim"]Nice to see all your responses.There was always a genuine kinship between a lot of these bands too.I also loved the great guitar jams these guys were noted for: Green Grass and High Tides(Outlaws),Free Bird(Skynyrd),Boogie No More(Molly Hatchet),Highway Song(Blackfoot),Another Man's Woman(ARS),Grey Ghost(Henry Paul Band) just to name a few.I don't know how I forgot these guys in my original post but Point Blank surely deserve a mention too.Their first 2 LPS can stand with the best of them.[/quote]

Point Blank is a great band. "The Hard Way" is another great album of theirs.

You could also lump in Johnny Winter's early 70's work & his brother Edgar Winters Whitetrash.[/quote]

I had the pleasure of catching Johnny in the mid-seventies,before he became extreme blues,and he just blew me away.Then I was fortunate enough to catch him about a decade later,opening up for George Thorogood.Now I like George,but let's face it,Johnny can run circles around George's guitar playing.But I guess they had to give George the headline gig because he was hot at the time,you know.....Bad To The Bone?......LOL
micksmetal.4t.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i caught skinny molly for the first time last year in london,,,,they rocked

www.micksmetal.4t.com
Armitage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the first bunch of Molly Hatchet albums.
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: southern...... Reply with quote

I miss the Georgia Satellites... and the little spoken of Four Horsemen and to some extent Everymothers Nightmare. Skynrd never clicked with me, growing up in the Houston area, they were in the local rock rotation atleast 2 times an hour along with ZZ Top, so they never really stood out to me. None the less I buy their records.
fearshop

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skynyrd was incredible. I liked the Allman Brothers. Old ZZ Top was great. I listen to a lot of other bands that are heavily influenced by Southern Rock as well. Down, Zakk Wylde.
vinyltim

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never really touched on great guitarists from this genre yet so I guess I'll start the ball rolling.Duane Allman will always come to mind as he was a great studio musician before the Allman Brothers even existed,not to mention his classic slide licks with that band.But my personal favorite will always be Toy Caldwell from The Marshall Tucker Band who incorporated rock,blues,country,jazz and even gospel into his playing,always with a great deal of emotion as evidenced by their great live shows.Give "Everyday (I Have The Blues)" a listen from the "Where We All Belong" album and hear some of the best live blues licks ever.Sadly,these musicians were taken from us before their time as were so many of the southern rock era - Butch Trucks(Allmans),Jakson Spires(Blackfoot),Danny Joe Brown(Molly Hatchet).Allen Collins-Ronnie Van Zant-Steve Gaines-Leon Wilkeson(Lynyrd Skynyrd),Dru Lombar(Grinderswitch),Tommy Caldwell(Marshall Tucker),Frank O'Keefe-Billy Jones(Outlaws),David Fiester(Henry Paul Band) are just some of those who have passed on.
vinyltim

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, did I screw up bigtime....it wasn't Butch Trucks who passed away in the Allman Bros......it was Berry Oakley.
Badboy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, don't miss the rockabilly stuff at all...good riddens.
sharixx

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: as for me I miss Reply with quote

[b]ZZ TP
GEOGIA SATELLITE
BONNIE RIATT[/b] (why not? )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: