HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The definitive in the genre series, Power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockangel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: The definitive in the genre series, Power Reply with quote

List the top three Power Metal bands that you think are not only the best examples of the genre but also just flat out good.
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted I haven't been a big fan of this genre for some time, but these are my favorites:

Helloween- their first album and ep are incredible speed metal that at times borders on thrash- raw, heavy, poorly produced, screams, and wild soloing- but geez it was f**k fast and the riffs were awesome. Their Keepers albums featured Michael Kiske= model of all powermetal singers- high clear voice- man he had talent. Better pipes than Halford or Dickinson. The production got better, they introduced different kinds of songs- I wasn't so hot on these different kinds as the first album, but they made that definitive powermetal sound. Then they lost Kiske after a couple of experimental albums [which weren't powermetal- I do like them though] Andi Deris came in and they changed their sound a little. It's a little more produced with him in the band, but the band have a tight sound. I really like stuff from the first two albums with him. Time of the Oath is perhaps my second favorite album after Halloween ep and Walls of Jericho. I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend anything after that, though I do enjoy things here and there.

Blind Guardian- they used to be a speed metal band that might have traded a little heavily on Helloween- I didn't care- they ruled and they had a little more heaviness and some of that thrash influence with time changes and stuff. Now they are more of a modern power metal band with concept albums, choirs and other bullshit. I really like Follow the Blind and some of the other early stuff. Their midperiod powermetal stuff is passable if not my favorite type of music. Their later stuff is for eurometal fans only.

Running Wild- awesome riffs, lots of energy. They are the Motorhead of traditional/power metal. They just keep churning out lots of nearly identical albums without letting up and writing crap riffs. Rolf can still sing [or at least they don't have a problem of making him sound ok in the studio]. Earlier in their career they were almost a thrash band playing Venom influenced 80s heavy metal, but then they started mixing in melodies and pirate themes, which despite being cheesy seriously rock. Death or Glory is a must have album as are Port Royal and Blazen Stone. You really can't go wrong though. I enjoy all their albums, though, as with Motorhead, I gravitate to the albums where they defined their sound [listed above]
Rockangel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Jake. You definitely have the idea here. Your posts are just what I was looking for. While I am familiar with most of the bands you are listing, some of them I didn’t give much a fair shake to and didn’t bother looking further into their discography upon hearing a couple of songs. Like Running Wild here and I’d not heard of Coroner (in the other thread) at all. I may have to go back and check these out more.

I think I’ll kick up a few more I’m interested in.
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m totally with Jake!

[b]Helloween [/b]l especially late 80,s the [i]Keeper [/i]pt.2 era

[b]Running Wild[/b] [i]Gates To Purgatory[/i], [i]Under Jolly Roger[/i] and [i]Port Royal [/i]are super album. Also the Live album [i]Ready for boarding[/i].

[b]Manowar[/b] Like Motörhead, You know what you get when buying an album.

Power Metal are all about War, knights and dragons, swords, Kings and elfes, the love to metal, blood and strength, loyalty, honour. PowerMetal lyrics are quite funny to listen to.
WASP Freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, going with the criteria listed in the previous post...

1. Dio. More dragons, rainbows, and imagery than you can shake a stick at. How so much vocal power came from such a puny little dude is beyond me. Vivian Campbell is a minor deity.

2. W.A.S.P. Blackie Lawless sounds like no one else, and no one sounds like Blackie. Of all the mid-80s LA metal bands, they're still at it too. Outlived Motley, Poison, GNR, Ratt...all of 'em. No holds barred live show, and oh my GOD what a voice.

3. Krokus. The epitome of the eternal road band. Headhunter is required listening for any metal fan. Marc Storace's vocals layered over Fernando Von Arb's guitar work made a powerful force that most any band would have been proud of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: