HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXCITER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 1999 5:52 am    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

Sorry, but "Born Again" ruined him for me. Both the LP and tour were annoying in my opinion. Yea, I was comparing both of them while they were in Sabbath, maybe that was shallow, but I felt it was the best way.
I still think DIO has a stronger "metal" voice; vice his screeching chalkboard sounding opponent.

EXCITER
DEFFY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 1999 8:06 am    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

We all know this is just a matter of opinion.

I enjoyed all of the Sabbath transformations Ozzy/Dio/Gillan/Hughes/Martin (I never heard a Ron Keel, David Donato or Ray Gillen songs). I just liked the following Black Sabbath period.
There is no mistake that Ozzy will forever rule as the Sabbath frontman and most of us will always remember the classics such as "Paranoid", "War Pigs", "Iron Man"....(you get the picture). But because Ozzy will always be remembered as the most famous front man from Sabbath, it does not make him the best singer. I know that throwing Ozzy in to this mix here opens an entirely different can of worms, but did you ever hear Dio sing Ozzy songs? (Live Evil or in concert) That was horrible. Dio butchered Ozzy’s songs. Does this make Dio a bad singer? No, not really. He just could not sing Ozzy's songs.
Each one of the singers, Dio and Gillan, had a different stile that can not be compared to each other or any of the singers that Black Sabbath had, but over all the songs, the music and the sound were great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
10yearsgone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 1999 10:08 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

No contest....Dio. RJD has a stronger voice, better lyrics, and more emotion....but that is just my opinion. Gillan has never really done anything for me as a singer....Peppermint Patty agrees.

[This message has been edited by 10yearsgone (edited 09-22-1999).]
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 10:58 am    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

Deffy: I'm not gonna deny that the Ozzy-era Sabbath stuff was incredible. But just as Dio butchered Ozzy's stuff, could you imagine Ozzy singing Dio era Sabbath? "Sign of the Southern Cross"? "Mob Rules"? That would be hilarious.

But I guess that just goes to high-light that you really can't compare Dio to Gillan to Ozzy or anyone.
DEFFY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 2:09 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

DTFM,
Totally agree that Ozzy would suck if he were to sing the Dio songs. As you stated, "that would be hilarious".
Each singer had his style and approach, but the music was rearranged to fit the style of the singer. (was this more credit to the rest of the band than the singer, this is another issue)
Also as I stated before each era/reincarnation of Black Sabbath was very enjoyable to me, and it includes the Gillan era.
Glad we could agree on something for a change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 3:11 pm    Post subject: Ian Gillan vs. Ronnie Dio Reply with quote

What? "Finally agree on something for a change"? LOL. I always thought I was so agreeable!

By the way, you touched on something. Iommi gets a lot of credit but maybe not as much as he should. Through all the member changes that have occurred in Sabbath, it is amazing the quality of music he has maintained. Further, he's always written in such a way as to suit his vocalist. Ozzy. Dio. Glenn Hughes. Tony Martin. While they're all different, each era of Sabbath has been excellent.

Kinda makes ya salivate over the forthcoming Iommi solo record, featuring a who's who of rock vocalists!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: