HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arch Enemy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 1999 3:12 pm    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

Alright, it's time for another music topic.

I've had "Burning Bridges" for a couple weeks now, and really love it. I was wondering if anyone knows whether "Stigmata" is as good. I checked the reviews at Amazon.com, but it's hard to trust them because you'll find people there who think "Risk" is classic Megadeth or people who try to compare "Kill 'Em All"-era Metallica to Pink Floyd!? I've already had more than one bad experience because I trusted them.

To the host of new people: Do any of you like the "Gothenberg" melodic death metal? If so, have you heard any albums by the German band "Night in Gales." I've heard they're supposed to be similar to In Flames. Are they really, or is that just BS hype?
Satariel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 1999 6:40 pm    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

Well Stigmata is a good album almost like Bridges but Liiva's vocals are not as powerfull as on Bridges but I would buy it, I like it better then Bridges.

As for Gothenburh death metal I am the only one on this board except for you Raider that probebly listens to it because God knows what the others like or even if its metal.
I have the first Night In Gales album Towards The Twighlight and the style has nothing in common with In Flames it has more Black Metal guitars. I haven't heard their second album Shadow Beast but that might have something to do with In Flames
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 1999 10:25 pm    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

Satariel, again you speak too much for your own good, sir! As a matter of fact, I consider myself quite a bit of a Gothenburg nut. I don't think anyone else but I can claim the dubious honor of staying with In Flames during their Maiden (no pun!) American voyage. You are right about the second Night in Gales CD sounding more like In Flames, but you are glaringly wrong on two counts. ONE: the album is THUNDERbeast. TWO: Night in Gales isn't from Goteborg, or Stockholm or Sweden for that matter. It is GERMAN.

For the Gothenburg completist, I recommend the following twin-guitar assaults:

At the Gates(RIP)
Ceremonial Oath(RIP)
Eucharist(RIP then no then RIP then who knows...)
In Flames
Dark Tranquillity
Arch Enemy
Gardenian
Sacrilege
Ablaze My Sorrow
QuantumRocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 1:48 am    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

GothenBurg sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check them out. What Maiden tour were they on? I've only seen Maiden tours in the 80's. By the way is anyone here into old [b]Manowar?[/b] I'm looking for bands that have a similar sound with a bass guitarist that actively plays an eight-string bass [i](with solos).[/i]
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 8:03 am    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

QR,

I don't know of anyband that are like the old
manowar!!! maybe someone else knows of a 8 string base solo but not me. I guess u r stuck with "thunderpick" and "sting of the bumble bee". Ross the boss formed a band after leaving manowar, the name escapes me, but I'm sure most of the fan sites would have
it posted. I never heard the new bands CD.
Hail and Kill!!!!

Zombie

Raider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 8:51 am    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

Sateriel:

Thanks for the info on "Stigmata" and Night in Gales. I've definitely got to check it out if it's even bette than "BB"

Metalfilm:

Thanks for the list of Gothenberg groups. Some of those I've heard of, but others I haven't and will check out. This style is quickly becoming my personal favorite metal style. I hope it stays around a while and doesn't die out.

I think that if metal ever starting getting attention in this country again, then this style could become very big among people who want real metal rather than the bubblegum metal that would almost certainly be the popular thing, because the style is sort of extreme, but not really. Almost like a middle-ground between power and death metal. Oh well, just my thoughts on the matter.
Raider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 8:52 am    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

Sateriel:

Thanks for the info on "Stigmata" and Night in Gales. I've definitely got to check it out if it's even bette than "BB"

Metalfilm:

Thanks for the list of Gothenberg groups. Some of those I've heard of, but others I haven't and will check out. This style is quickly becoming my personal favorite metal style. I hope it stays around a while and doesn't die out.

I think that if metal ever starting getting attention in this country again, then this style could become very big among people who want real metal rather than the bubblegum metal that would almost certainly be the popular thing, because the style is sort of extreme, but not really. Almost like a middle-ground between power and death metal. Oh well, just my thoughts.
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 2:20 pm    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

Quantum, you seem a bit confused so I'll help ya out. Gothenburg ain't a band, baby. It's a city on Sweden that has seen the rise of a great number of bands that combine the screaming vocals of death and black metal with the twin-guitar harmonies of Maiden and Priest. Search out all the bands I listen and make your life a better place!
QuantumRocker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 1999 3:05 pm    Post subject: Arch Enemy Reply with quote

Ok, I see. I'll check out some of the bands listed then.

Has anyone heard the Kevin Furguson [i]Strad to Strat[/i] album? I've been thinking of buying it. If you want to check out the album, then go to: [url=http://www.guitar9.com/stradtostrat.html]http://www.guitar9.com/s tradtostrat.html[/url]

If he can play all of those paganini and Bach pieces, then he's probably as good as Yngwie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: