HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Desslar:
It's certainly not worth fighting over.

You're right, in part. Hair, clothes, etc. are not worth fighting for in themselves, but the principle that you should be able to go out in public without being insulted IS worth fighting for. For example: if someone tells you, "Don't wear the color blue any more, or I'll kill you," is you wearing the color blue worth risking your life for? Probably not. Is the PRINCIPLE that nobody can order you around like that and threaten your safety for something so small that's not hurting anybody else worth fighting for? Yes, I think it is.
Subtraction

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Remind me to give you a lecture on menstrual bloating, lip gloss, and the availability of abortion in the U. S. sometime. After all, I've dated a few girls who had to deal with those issues, so I obviously know more about them than you do
I never said that I knew everything about it, nor did I say I knew your exact situation! You really don't like to pay attention to what I say.

quote:
Kinda like you know all about what long-haired guys go through (even in the 80s) because you dated a longhair and vary your own hairstyle
Oh yeah, kind of like I never said that I knew exactly what it was like you....err I am trying to refrain. I was trying to make an analogy, that doesn't necessarily mean its the same exact thing, but you act like I am totally clueless about what the fukk discrimination is.

quote:
And one more thing -- nearly losing your life just for looking the wrong way is plenty of reason to snap at someone when they make ignorant comments about it. Next time somebody tries to kill you, feel free to post your experience here . If you still disagree with me, I'll at least accept your opinion as an informed one.
You obviously didn't read what I said, I never commented on what you did that night or whatever that you almost got killed. I said that it was totally unreasonable for someone to try to kill you for a reason as stupid as hair length, I guess you took the liberty of just skimming over my post and didn't catch that at least two times in it I said that it was pretty crappy what happened to you and I don't believe it was right for someone to try and kill you for having long hair.

Next time, why don't you read my freaking post and try to understand that I am on your side as far as thinking that it is totally stupid for someone to try and kill you for your hair!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Well I didn't mean I would talk trash in a questionable situation like the one you mentioned. Sorry to hear about your incidence. That is pretty fuc.ked, but you know there are a$$holes everywhere and yes I agree with you that you should be able to avoid them, especially the violent ones, but they are out there.

Someone did threaten my brother one time, because he was wearing a Metallica shirt, and that's a similar thing. It is definitely bullshit. But I still don't think fighting gets you too far. A last resort perhaps?

I'll admit that I've never really been in a fight, so I certainly try to avoid violence(especially since I'm only a buck thirty), but occasionally things have almost hit that point, and I regretted antagonizing the offender, even if they were a$$holes.

As far as the metalbrotherhood goes, I agree with whoever said above that you are apt to talk to people that have similar tastes as you. If some friendly longhaired dude starts talking to me about Manowar at a concert, then sure I'll start talking to him. But if some friendly short haired dude started talking to me about Saxon, I would still talk to him. To me it's more the tshirts than the hair, cause I've known more long haired jazz fans than metalheads.
mtlhd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Wow! I'm only 5 foot7 and I've never been given any grief for having long hair. But I've always gotten positive comments from the ladies.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

My thoughts on this subject (not that I am even sure what the subject is at this point) is that you should never wear your heart on your sleeve, so to speak. I can only think of brief periods in my life where I had any need or desire to dress or look or wear my hair a certain way, metal or otherwise. People have called me a "closet metalhead" and are very surprised to find out what music I listen to. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I wear my hair long, wear black, wear leather, "look metal" whatever then people are going to have a preset opinion of me before they even know me. They don't deserve to have that. If they want to know about me they have to talk to me, plain and simple. I never hide the music I like and eagerly talk about it to anyone who asks, but the music I love is a personal thing to me and people don't deserve to know me that well unless they talk to me first and ask. This doesn't just go for metal, there are a lot of things that people I have known for a long time don't know until they ask, like that I played college football, or was in a bunch of bands, or used to be a cartoonist and artist and a bunch of other things. I don't want people to know things unless I feel that they should.

I don't mean to disrespect anyone who DOES think that wearing their hair long is an expression of the music they love. I think that's great, if that's you. For me, this is more about my general distrust and desire to keep a safe distance from most of these shallow, empty headed, homo sapiens we share the planet with.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by AngelWitch73:
In Germany it is completely normal for guys to have long hair. In fact you canīt tell if someone listens to Metal or not because a lot of non Metal listeners have long hair and work in all kinds of jobs. Itīs no big deal here at all.

So is Argentina, discriminate people for the lenght of their hair is just that, discrimination, not different from age, sex, color, religion, etc.

I wish I had enough hair to wear it long, alas genetics and age have taken their toll.
[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
daeh_latem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

Once, i couldn't get a job cuz of my long hair...Dairy Queen lost out on a great customer service representative. I just said..forget it, I am going to work at the dollar store for 4.35 an hour. Then, I had to cut it bald in '95 to attend tech school. I was pissed, I felt naked (and at times I found I WAS naked) Good Times...
Anyway, I wished for that perfect wavy hair, like say Hetfield. Mine ended up more like Carrot Top, so I shaved the sides and put it into apony tail. That was cool.
I like to see Mustaine, Cantrell and Dime out there sticking to the hair, even when they get teased and discriminated against, now thats pride!

ha ha...lighten up folks!
scarlettara

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Long Hair: The Root Of All Evil Reply with quote

I do understand that it is difficult to have long hair (especially in the south) but you have to realize that if you were not getting harassed about your hair then it would just be something else. People are mean. I have had long hair my whole life and I still get looked at strangely and hear the occasional "look, its Jesus" comments. But that just comes with the territory. I also get lots of positive comments as well so I think it kind of balances out. I use it to my advantage, because the way I see it if I meet someone and they don't make a big deal about my hair then they are probably(not always) a pretty cool person who I wouldn't mind talking to. However, if I meet someone and I start getting lots of rude comments or whatever then I know to stay away from that person because they are clearly an idiot. Metal heads can have long hair or be bald for all I care. Its just a personal preference.

[url=http://www.scarlettara.com]www.scarlettara.com[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: