HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

Hey folks,
It has been awhile since I have posted here. I have been busy with my own website and board (not a metal board) and that took up the majority of my time. Nice to see A LOT of familar names here.

Anyway, just picked up 'Dance Of Death' from Maiden. This album is great IMO. Not quite a return to Powerslave as was touted, but that is okay because it is a much different album than Powerslave. Much more melodic and very mature sounding. It is also updated enough to garner radio play on our local "metal" station! I just about fell over when I was listening and heard 'Wildest Dreams' come on the radio. I was like: "is this MAIDEN?! It CAN'T BE!

Anyway, what are everyone elses thoughts now that they have had time to listen to it a few times?
Jake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

Despite some interesting guitar tracks, this album isn't very good. They used a lot of riffs and musical themes that were already on Fear of the Dark and Brave New World. It doesn't work.
Metal1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

GUNS, I'm in your corner. I think you summed it up perfectly. Its not Powerslave. It is, however, a good album with very solid moments.

Your bound to get a bunch of negatives on here, IM is pretty much the board's whipping boy!
lthunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

Ya know, I think it's kind of funny that alot of the more well-known personalities on this board seem to love to hate Dance of Death but there's no end to their love of the crapfest that was Reroute to Remain. I was watching the headbagers ball this weekend and saw that video for trigger and it made me realize yet again how terrible that album really is. Yet alot of people on here did everything they could to make it sound like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Guess it just goes to show that musical taste is a very personal thing. Personally I'll take Maiden over N'Flames or Soilcrap anyday....
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

If this board has a whipping boy it's still Metallica not Iron Maiden.

I thought Reroute to Remain was decent, not great.
Metal1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

Jake, Metallica is Earth's whipping boy!

The more I listen to DOD, I think Monsegur may be the most "Maidenish" song since 7'th son.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

I guess I like the fact that they use elements of all of their material in this album. I do not view it as "ripping off" their old stuff. I mean, what is a band supposed to do, completely reinvent themselves with each album? I think Maiden, being the old fogies they are, have put out an album that is true to their sound without being campy or worse yet, "trendy."
MAIDENFAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

I agree with you ithunter! But i do think these people on here who dog maiden also respect them. I know Jake said he did break down and buy the album and general zod did see them live twice and gave them a great review. Some people are just very critical of everything in life. I look at it like this, inorder to put maiden down and be critical of them , u must care somewhat about them or else u wouldn't even waste ur time talking about maiden. I happen to love DOD more and more after each listen. I've been following maiden ever since 1986 and they have never dissapointed me. Everytime i see them live they rock and have never cancelled a concert that i had tickets for. I'm always hearing about bands that are cancelling concerts for whatever reason but maiden has never done that to me and i have seen them around 20 times live!
woosta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Hi All! It's been awhile.. How's about that Maiden! Reply with quote

I'm struggling through the cd right now. I'm on "Age of Innocence" and it's the first song that I've liked. Man, I loved Brave New World, but this cd is just not cutting it upon first listen. Of course, I will give it more fair chances (and that's more than I'll bet SOME folks give/gave to In Flames or Soilwork around here).

This is just a REALLY flat cd for me. Maybe it's that I just got done listening to Anthem's "Hunting Time" cd and it's a killer. Maiden is looking pretty sick next to that cd (and THAT is something I never thought I'd say concerning Maiden vs. a Japanese band!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: